This tomato basil soup is rich with crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, and cheese ravioli. And it's topped with fresh parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Oh, how delicious!
Tomatoes delight our taste buds with their delicious juiciness! Yet inside these colorful globes of flavor is packed an abundance of health-boosting nutrients.
These vitamins and antioxidants support:
Plus, the nutrients in tomatoes have also been shown to:
Lycopene is a powerful, health-protecting antioxidant found in tomatoes.
One simple step to get more lycopene in your diet is by using tomatoes processed by heating. This includes the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce used in this recipe. The heat breaks down the cell walls of the tomato which releases more lycopene and gives your body more lycopene to absorb!
This soup is rich in both tomatoes and fresh herbs. Try it - both your body and your taste buds will love you for it!
1 pound ground beef or turkey
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
2 cans crushed tomatoes (28 ounces, each)
1 can tomato sauce (14.5 ounces)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced (1/4 cup for soup + 1/4 cup for garnish)
2-1/4 teaspoons fresh basil leaves, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves, minced
1/3 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1 package refrigerated cheese ravioli ( 9 ounces)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup + 3/4 cup for garnish)
1. Prep - On a cutting board, prep the onions, garlic, parsley, basil, and oregano.
2. Cook - In a Dutch oven, cook ground meat and chopped onions on medium high for about 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
3. Add and cook - Add minced garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
4. Drain - Drain off grease.
5. Add - Return pan to heat and add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce
6. Stir in - Stir in 1/4 cup minced parsley
7. Add - Add basil, oregano, thyme, black pepper, salt, and sugar
8. Bring mixture to a boil, then immediately reduce heat
9. Simmer - Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
10. Prepare ravioli - In a separate pan, boil water and prepare cheese ravioli according to package directions.
11. Grate Parmesan cheese - Now is a good time to grate the Parmesan cheese.
12. When ravioli is finished cooking, drain off water.
13. Add - Add ravioli and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese to the Dutch oven; stir
14. Garnish - Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
"All About Tomatoes: Boosting Your Health with Buckeye Wellness | Food Innovation Center - The Ohio State University." Home | Food Innovation Center - The Ohio State University. Accessed July 23, 2017. https://fic.osu.edu/initiatives/foods-for-health/tomato.html.
"Health Benefits of Tomatoes — Nutrition, Diet, and Health — Penn State Extension." Nutrition, Diet, and Health (Penn State Extension). Accessed July 23, 2017. http://extension.psu.edu/health/news/2017/health-value-of-tomatoes.
Swartzendruber, Kris. "Tomatoes Provide Many Health Benefits | MSU Extension." MSU Extension. Accessed July 23, 2017. http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/tomatoes_provide_many_health_benefits.