Creamy Chicken Taco Soup for the Slow Cooker
10-Minute Prep and Gluten-Free
Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
Our creamy taco soup for the slow cooker is brimming with tender chicken, black beans, diced tomatoes, and yellow corn. Plus, it has great taco taste and a creamy broth.
The prep is quick and easy as the only cutting board tasks are to chop an onion and mince a few cloves of garlic. But you could also use frozen chopped onions and bottled minced garlic to speed things along even faster.
The fire-roasted diced tomatoes and diced green chiles give this soup a smoky, southwestern flavor. We also added liquid smoke to build on the flavor even more.
Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 8-10 hours LOW or 5-6 hours HIGH Total Time: 8 hrs 30 min. Serves: 6-8
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, excess fat removed
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1-1/2 cup frozen yellow corn
2 cans black beans (15.5 ounces ea.) drained and rinsed
2 cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes (14.5 ounces each)
1 can diced, fire-roasted green chiles (4 ounces each)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup light cream
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, plus more for optional topping
Taco sauce, if gluten-free
Directions for Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and frozen corn.
- Using a colander or fine-mesh strainer, drain the packing liquid from the black beans. Rinse the beans with running water; add to slow cooker. (Draining and rinsing canned beans removes gas-producing carbohydrates, sodium, and canned taste.)
- Next, add the diced tomatoes and green chiles. Don’t drain these.
- Add the seasonings: cumin, ancho powder, salt, dried oregano, and liquid smoke.
- Add the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- With lid on, cook for 6-8 hours on LOW or 3-4 hours on HIGH.
- About 30 minutes before you're ready to eat, transfer the tender chicken breasts to a plate and shred using two forks. Return shredded chicken to the slow cooker. (Note: if the chicken doesn't shred easily, it needs to cook longer.)
- Add and stir in the heavy cream. With lid on, cook for 20 minutes on HIGH.
- Stir in the shredded Cheddar. When the cheese has melted, ladle soup into bowls and add all or some of these optional toppings: sour cream, shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, lime wedge, and gluten-free taco sauce.
Delicious served with corn tortilla chips.
Mouth-Watering Chicken Soups
Creamy Chicken Taco