This split pea soup recipe for the slow cooker is easy, creamy, and gluten-free. Made with a smoked ham shank, split peas, and potatoes - it's ready for the slow cooker in under 15 minutes!
Mature peas harvested from the field are still in their pods. After being dried and the outer covering removed, the peas split along a natural seam.
When shopping for split peas, you will often find a choice between green and yellow. Much the same, yellow split peas have a more delicate flavor and are popular in northern European dishes.
Yes, dried peas are very nutritious. In fact, we've been eating them since prehistoric times. Not only do they taste great, they are high in fiber, aid digestion, and can help stabilize your blood sugar.
Plus, dried peas and other legumes are good for your heart. Their heart-healthy nutrients help lower blood pressure and keep your blood vessels free of plaque.
1 meaty smoked ham shank (1.5 pounds)
4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
16 oz bag dried split peas, sorted and rinsed
3 tablespoons dried chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
8 cups water
6 slices apple-smoked bacon, crumbled for garnish
coarsely ground black pepper
1. Add: Add ham shank, chopped potatoes, and chopped carrots to the slow cooker.
2. Sort and Rinse: Sort through the split peas and rinse. Just as with other legumes, you want to make sure that only good peas are added to your soup. But no soaking is required.
3. Add: Add split peas, dried onion, and granulated garlic.
4. Add: Add dried thyme, bay leaf, and water.
5. Cook: Lid on, cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours.
6. Cook bacon: Cook bacon in a skillet or on a paper towel-lined plate in the microwave. You’ll want 3-4 layers of paper towel lining the plate. Set aside when done.
7. Discard: Remove and discard bay leaf.
8. Shred meat: Remove ham shank and place on a large plate. Take meat off the bone and shred into bite-sized pieces. Discard the fat and bone.
9. Add and stir: Return meat to the slow cooker and stir in.
10. Garnish: Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with crumbled bacon and coarsely ground black pepper.
"Dried Peas." The World's Healthiest Foods. Accessed March 3, 2018. http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=56.