This potato leek soup recipe for the slow cooker only takes a few steps of simple prep. In under 20 minutes the ingredients can be in the slow cooker and ready to start cooking.
It's a delicious, chunky soup filled with tender potatoes, sautéed leeks, cream, and smoked Cheddar cheese. Plus, it's even gluten-free!
Only the white and light green sections of the leek are edible. Growers mound up dirt around the base of the plant to protect this edible part and keep it white. But this means that dirt sometimes gets in between the leek‘s tender layers. To make sure your soup is memorable for its outstanding flavor, follow these simple steps.
2 tablespoons butter
2 leeks, cleaned and sliced, white and light green section only
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried parsley
4 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup light cream
8 ounces shredded smoked Cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
Smoked paprika for garnish
1. Prep leeks: Wash and slice leeks following the directions above.
2. Sauté: In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add: To slow cooker add the cubed potatoes, granulated garlic, dried thyme, dried parsley, and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
4. Cook: Top with lid and set slow cooker on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours until potatoes are tender.
5. Dissolve: Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch to the cream and stir until well blended.
6. Add: Gradually add this mixture to the soup and cook on LOW for 30 minutes.
7. Stir in: Stir in the smoked Cheddar and cook until cheese is melted and soup is heated through; about 5 minutes.
8. Garnish: Ladle soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese and smoked paprika.
Elliot, Jeffrey, and James P. DeWan. "Cutting Fruits and Vegetables." In Complete Book of Knife Skills: The Essential Guide to Use, Techniques & Care, 115-217. Toronto, Ont: Robert Rose, 2010.