Hash Brown Potato Cheese Soup is simple, superb, and gluten-free. And it's perfect for any night of the week. With just a few steps simple prep, you're ready to hit start in under 10 minutes!
This soup has fresh, chopped onions and minced garlic which give your immune system a nice boost. Plus, it uses high-quality dairy products (Cheddar cheese, cream, and sour cream) which are an excellent source of calcium and vitamin D. Not only do these ingredients add delightful flavor and creaminess to this soup, they're also great for your bones, your heart health, and can even help you achieve a healthy weight.
Instead of starting with whole potatoes in this recipe, we are using a bag of frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes. Just pull them from your freezer. They are made from real potatoes, are gluten-free, and save you time in the kitchen. Plus, the strips of shredded potatoes give this soup homestyle flair.
Ingredients for Hash Brown Potato Cheese Soup
Shredded hash brown potatoes, frozen (28 oz. bag)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 dried bay leaf
6 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup heavy cream or light cream
12 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (includes 4 oz. for optional garnish)
1. Add: To a 6-quart crockpot/slow cooker, add the shredded potatoes, chopped onion, minced garlic, butter, salt, black pepper, bay leaf, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. You want the potatoes covered with the stock for even cooking.
2. Cook: With lid on, cook for 4-6 hours on LOW or 2-3 hours on HIGH.
3. Remove bay leaf: About 30 minutes before you are ready to eat, remove and discard the bay leaf.
4. Dissolve: Add the cornstarch to the cream and stir until dissolved. Add the mixture to the soup; stir to combine.
5. Cook 30 minutes: With lid on, cook on LOW for 30 minutes more.
6. Stir in: Stir in 8 ounces of the shredded cheese. When the cheese has melted (about 5 minutes), ladle the soup into bowls.
7. Garnish: Top with optional garnishes of sour cream, shredded Cheddar, and fresh chives.