Spicy Peanut Soup Recipe is a flavorful combination of chicken, sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes, peanut butter, and cayenne pepper. It provides a delicious way for you to reap the nutritional benefits of peanuts and peanut butter.
When a discussion arises about adding nuts to one’s diet, it seems that almonds and pistachios are quickly mentioned as some of the best choices.
But I was surprised to learn that peanuts contain more protein than any other nut (8 grams of protein per ounce, to be exact). They also have been shown to increase lifespan, curb hunger, help control weight gain, and reduce the risk of death from heart disease by 29%. www.peanut-institute.org
2 tablespoons olive oil
2.5 - 3 lbs chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, excess fat trimmed
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 can no-salt added tomato paste (6 ounces)
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock, homemade preferred (chicken stock recipe)
2 cups water
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 ounces)
1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts - for garnish
Fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed and chopped - for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering.
2. Using tongs, add the chicken thighs and sear on each side for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium, then add the onion, ginger, and garlic to the pan. Add a little extra olive oil if necessary. Stir occasionally and cook about 5 minutes or until the chopped onions are tender.
4. In the same pan, stir in the tomato paste, peanut butter, coriander, and cayenne pepper.
5. Keep stirring and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add the chicken stock, chicken, sweet potatoes, and diced tomatoes.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken and sweet potatoes are tender.
8. Using a meat fork, lift the pieces of chicken from the pan and place on a clean plate. Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
9. Stir the shredded chicken into the soup. Heat for about 5 minutes.
10. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with peanuts and freshly chopped cilantro. Serve hot.
11. Season each serving with freshly ground black pepper and a small pinch of salt according to taste.
Serves 4 - 6
Like sunshine sparkling off of the snow - may these soups bring you joy...
Agricultural Research Service. "Peanuts 101 - The Basics." United States Department of Agriculture. Accessed January 28, 2017. https://www.ars.usda.gov/southeast-area/dawson-ga/peanut-research/docs/peanuts-101-the-basics/.
The Peanut Institute. "http://www.peanut-institute.org/images/materials_22_3283518470.pdf." Accessed January 26, 2017. www.peanut-institute.org.