Our creamy mulligatawny soup is brimming with tender chicken, lentils, rice, shredded carrots, golden raisins, and spices. It's an Indian curry that's easy, delicious, and gluten-free.
The easy prep can be completed in 15 minutes, especially if you use pre-minced garlic, pre-shredded carrots, and powdered ginger. The chicken breasts we used in this recipe are buried under the colorful mounds of fruits, vegetables, and spices in the photo below.
When set on LOW, this soup takes 6-8 to cook. Then there are just two simple steps to complete before you eat:
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, excess fat removed
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (or 3 teaspoons pre-minced, refrigerated garlic)
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (15 ounces)
1 medium-size apple - cored, unpeeled, and chopped
1 cup shredded carrots (or 2 large carrots, chopped)
1/2 cup uncooked converted white rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon gluten-free curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (or 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup light cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch (or 1 teaspoon potato starch)
1. Add chicken: Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Add: Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, tomatoes, chopped apple, shredded carrots, rice, dried lentils, and golden raisins.
3. Add seasonings: Add the curry powder, ginger powder, cayenne pepper, and salt.
4. Add broth: Add the chicken broth. If you prefer using a prepared chicken base, you can substitute 8 cups of water and 3 tablespoons chicken base (or according to the package) for the chicken broth. In addition, check the label to be sure it's gluten-free.
5. Cook: With the lid on, cook on LOW for 6-8 hours (or on HIGH for 3-4 hours).
6. Shred chicken: When the chicken breasts are very tender, lift them out and place on a plate. Using two forks, shred the meat and return it to the slow cooker.
7. Add cornstarch mixture: About 25 minutes before you're ready to eat, add the cornstarch to the cup of light cream. Whisk with a fork until the cornstarch has dissolved into the cream. Add this mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
8. Cook: With the lid on, cook on HIGH for 20 minutes.
9. Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy. This soup is delicious served with Naan bread.