This loaded potato soup is a rich and satisfying combination of creamy buttermilk, cheddar cheese, and russet potatoes.
Each serving is topped just right with generous amounts of crispy bacon, sour cream, and sliced green onions for a real loaded potato experience!
May the romance of soup making nurture happiness like firelight glimmering on the cherished walls of your home.
5 slices bacon
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 stalk of celery, rinsed and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup flour
3 cups chicken stock, homemade preferred
1 cup milk
1-1/2 cup buttermilk (see more about buttermilk below)
4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
Green onions, rinsed and sliced
1. Cook: In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over low to medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon with a meat fork and place on paper towels to drain.
2. Sauté: In the resulting bacon drippings. Sauté chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Gradually add: Gradually add the flour and stir until well blended.
4. Slowly add: Slowly pour in stock and stir until well blended.
5. Add: Add 1 cup milk, 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, and the cubed potatoes.
6. Simmer: Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat and simmer about 25 minutes. Check potatoes with a fork for tenderness.
7. Purée: Remove pan from heat. Purée with immersion blender. Leave soup a little chunky to give it a rustic appeal.
8. Stir in: Return soup to heat and add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese; stir until melted. Continue adding 1/2 cup at a time until all of the cheddar cheese is blended in.
9. Add: Stir in 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce.
10. Garnish: Ladle your beautiful Buttermilk Loaded Potato Soup into individual bowls and top with sour cream, pieces of crispy bacon, and sliced green onions. Enjoy!
In the traditional churning of cream to make butter, the buttermilk is the liquid that remains after the butterfat has collected together to form a solid.
But the buttermilk we purchase in stores today is not a result of this same process. Rather it is produced by adding lactic acid to low fat milk which forms our thick and creamy beverage.
Its slightly sour but appealing taste makes it a favorite drink of many. Plus, it is easy to digest and is lower in fat and calories than whole milk.
Nutritionally, buttermilk provides us with calcium, vitamin D, numerous B vitamins, and protein which make it a good choice for strong bones and energy. And as a probiotic food it provides several health benefits including strengthening the function of the immune system.
How nice that a thick and creamy beverage can also be healthful.
Let your spirit roam the clouds as you embrace the beauty of these fine soups...
Nov 05, 17 08:51 PM
A corn soup recipe featuring a delightful combination of lean turkey, golden corn, and crushed tomatoes...plus, it's topped with irresistible cornmeal dumplings!
Oct 27, 17 09:22 PM
A black bean soup recipe combining protein-rich beef or turkey, black beans, and quinoa - plus, it's topped with mouth-watering cornmeal dumplings. You're going to love it!
Oct 05, 17 09:23 PM
A corn chowder soup recipe filled with bright golden kernels of corn, creamy potatoes, and cornmeal dumplings - topped with shredded cheddar and bacon.