This cheesy potato ham soup recipe for the crockpot/slow cooker is hearty, nutritious, and gluten-free. With just 20 minutes of simple prep, you can come home to a soup filled with tender potatoes, flavorful ham, and creamy cheese. It's perfect for any night of the week!
Potatoes are one of our most nutrient-dense vegetables. And guess what. Leaving the skin on your potatoes not only adds flavor and saves you a few minutes of preparation time in the kitchen, but doing so also helps you take full advantage of their nutrients. Because peeling off the skin also means you are peeling away some of the potassium, vitamin C, fiber, et al.
1 smoked, meaty ham shank (1.5 to 2 pounds)
6 medium-sized russet potatoes, well-scrubbed and unpeeled, cut into bite-sized cubes
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 cup frozen corn
6 cups chicken stock
1 dried bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup light cream
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Optional garnishes: sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped fresh parsley
1. Add: To a 6-quart crockpot/slow cooker, add a smoked, meaty ham shank. Place the meaty side facing down. This helps make sure the meat gets tender.
2. Add: Next, add the cubed potatoes, chopped onion, minced garlic, corn, and chicken stock.
3. Add seasonings: Add the bay leaf, dried thyme, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
4. Cook: With lid on, set the crockpot/slow cooker on LOW and cook for 7-9 hours or 4-5 hours on HIGH.
5. The cooking is finished when the ham easily separates from the bone and the potatoes are tender..
6. Shred ham: Place ham shank on a plate. It will be very hot, so you may want to let it cook a few minutes. Using two forks, pull the ham from the bone and shred into bite-sized pieces. Return the meat to the soup; discard the fat and bone.
7. Dissolve: Add the cornstarch to the light cream and stir until dissolve. Pour the mixture into the soup and stir to combine.
8. Cook 30 minutes: Cook on LOW for 30 more minutes. Then stir in the shredded Cheddar and heat until melted.
9. Add toppings: Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped parsley.
Kitchin, Beth. "SHP - Nutrition Trends - Defending the Potato." UAB - The University of Alabama at Birmingham - Home. Accessed May 22, 2019. https://www.uab.edu/shp/nutritiontrends/recipes-food-facts/food-facts/defending-potato.
"Research Reveals Potato As Antioxidant Powerhouse - University of Maine Cooperative Extension." Cooperative Extension: Agriculture. Accessed May 22, 2019. https://extension.umaine.edu/agriculture/agriculture-water-quality/potato-antioxidant-research/.