This easy broccoli soup is a healthy blend of broccoli, grated carrots, and dried herbs simmered in chicken stock and finished with creamy Cheddar cheese. Not only is this soup gluten-free, but it's ready for the slow cooker in only 10 minutes!
When the cooking is complete, purée with an immersion blender. If you haven't used an immersion blender yet, it's fun. Place the blade in the soup before you push start. Then use up and down stirring motions to blend your ingredients. Keeping the blades under the surface of the soup will help prevent splashing.
Next, add cream and Cheddar cheese. Warm everything back up, ladle into bowls, and top with shredded Cheddar cheese. Yummy!
While I love the feel and taste of fresh broccoli, I chose to use frozen broccoli in this recipe to save you time. But don’t be concerned about losing vitamins and minerals. According to Birdseye, their vegetables are picked ripe from the field then flash frozen to lock in freshness and nutrition. That means we can save time and still feel good about it.
1 pound bag frozen broccoli
1 cup grated carrots, pre-cut (or 2 large carrots if grating yourself)
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (or 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced)
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
3 cups chicken stock, homemade preferred
1 cup light cream
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish (or start with a 3/4 pound wedge, if grating yourself)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Add - Place frozen broccoli, grated carrots, dried onions in bottom of slow cooker.
2. Add - Add garlic, tarragon, and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
3. Cook - Set slow cooker on LOW. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours. If using the HIGH setting, cook for 2-3 hours.
4. Turn slow cooker off or to warm.
5. Purée - With a hand-held immersion blender, purée soup to desired smoothness. (A counter-top blender may also be used to purée your soup. Fill container less than two-thirds full, and hold lid securely in place to prevent hot soup from splashing out while blending.)
6. Stir in - Stir in the cream and shredded Cheddar. Cover and cook on LOW for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and soup is nicely warmed.
7. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
8. Ladle into bowls and garnish with shredded Cheddar cheese. Serve warm and enjoy!
"Frozen Vs Fresh." Birdseye.com. Accessed October 21, 2018. https://www.birdseye.com/frozen-vs-fresh/.
Meier, Jennifer. "How Do You Convert Cheese Measurements From Cups to Pounds?" The Spruce Eats. Last modified November 3, 2008. http://www.thespruceeats.com/measuring-cheese-for-recipes-591187.