This corn soup recipe features a delightful combination of ground turkey, golden corn, and crushed tomatoes… plus, it's adorned with delicious cornmeal dumplings and shredded Cheddar cheese!
With only onions, garlic and parsley to chop, this soup comes together pretty quickly. And the batter for the dumplings is easy to mix up while the soup simmers.
1 pound ground turkey
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-1/2 cups whole kernel corn, frozen
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
4 cups chicken stock, homemade preferred (chicken stock recipe)
2-1/4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup whole kernel corn, frozen
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. In a Dutch oven, brown ground turkey and chopped onions until meat is no longer pink.
2. Add minced garlic. Cook for 1 additional minute; drain off and discard fat
3. Add corn, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken stock
4. Stir in poultry seasoning and salt
5. Bring soup to a boil then immediately reduce heat to simmer
6. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes
7. Meanwhile, make dumpling batter.
1. In a large bowl - combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
2. Add frozen corn, 1/2 cup cheese, and minced parsley.
3. In small bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Then add to other ingredients and stir just until moistened.
8. After soup has simmered for 15 minutes, drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto the soup. These scoops of batter will become individual dumplings.
9. Cover pot with a lid and continue simmering until the dumplings are firm; about 15 minutes.
If you wish, you can insert a toothpick into the center of a dumpling to check for doneness.
A clean toothpick indicates the dumpling is done.
(Taking off the lid will release the steam needed to cook the dumplings, so leave the lid in place until the end of the cooking time.)
10. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with shredded cheese and minced parsley. Enjoy!