This chili soup recipe for the slow cooker has outstanding sweet and spicy flavor! It's easy to make, loaded with protein, and gluten-free.
The prep time for this soup is 15 minutes, and the chopping needed is minimal. Since preparation is quick and easy, that leaves you more time to spend doing the things you love. And it's always fun to come home to a slow cooker of warm and welcoming chili after a busy day.
If you're looking for a high-protein/high-fiber soup, this one fits the bill. Plus, it packed with vitamin C, B vitamins, and minerals. Which means this soup not only is delicious, it's good for you too!
The protein and fiber in this recipe will help you feel full longer. Being high in fiber also helps lower the overall carbs. But the carbohydrates in this soup are primarily from the kidney beans which means they break down more slowly than carbs from pasta sometimes added to chili.
What can I say...you're going to love this chili soup!
1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 cans kidney beans (15 ounces each), drained and rinsed
28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
28 ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Optional garnishes: sour cream, shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, corn chips
1. Brown: In a skillet, cook the ground beef, chopped onion, and minced garlic until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off the grease.
2. Add: To a 6-quart slow cooker, add the browned beef mixture, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
3. Add seasonings: Next, add the chili powder, ground cumin, brown sugar, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
4. Cook: With lid on, set slow cooker on LOW and cook for 6-8 hours (or 3-4 hours on HIGH).
5. Serve: Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream, sliced green onions, and shredded sharp Cheddar cheese.