This crockpot cheeseburger soup recipe is easy, creamy, and gluten-free. The simple prep using fresh ingredients is finished in under 20 minutes, then you're off to enjoy your day.
It's brimming with the great taste of ground beef, fresh-cut potatoes, diced tomatoes, and Cheddar cheese. While leaving the potatoes unpeeled is optional, we left the skin on the potatoes because they:
The toppings you love on your hamburger also taste great with this soup. We topped ours with:
While we didn't try mustard, we did find that ketchup tastes great on more than just cheeseburgers. It tastes great on cheeseburger soup, too!
Ingredients for Easy Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
4 medium-sized russet potatoes - well-scrubbed, unpeeled, and cut into bite-sized cubes
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
4 cups beef stock
1 cup light cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, plus more for optional topping
Optional toppings: onion slices, tomato slices, dill pickle slices, and 6 slices of bacon - cooked and crumbled
1. Brown: In a skillet, cook the ground beef, chopped onion, and minced garlic until the meat is no longer pink.
2. Add: Add the cooked beef mixture to a 6-quart crockpot/slow cooker.
3. Add: Next, add the potatoes, tomatoes, dried thyme, salt, pepper, liquid smoke, and beef stock to the crockpot.
4. Cook: With lid on, cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or 3-4 hours on HIGH.
5. Dissolve: Add the cornstarch to the light cream. Whisk or stir until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add this thickening mixture to the soup and stir to combine.
6. Cook 30 minutes: With lid on, cook for 30 minutes more on LOW.
7. Microwave bacon: In the meantime, cook the 6 strips of bacon in the microwave between several sheets of paper towel. Set aside. When cooled, crumble into pieces for soup topping.
8. Add cheese: Add shredded cheese to crockpot; stir to combine. When cheese has melted (about 5 minutes), soup is ready to serve.
9. Add toppings: Ladle soup into bowls and top with slices of onion, tomatoes, and dill pickles. Sprinkle on shredded Cheddar and bacon crumbles. Enjoy!