This slow cooker cauliflower soup blends the great taste of cauliflower and Cheddar cheese with onions, garlic, and dill weed. It’s a gluten-free soup that’s rich, creamy, and delicious. You’re going to love it!
You should buy the freshest cauliflower available to you. Look for heads caressed by thick green leaves because they help keep the cauliflower fresh. The best choices are the heads with compact, creamy white clusters.
Cauliflower florets hold a powerhouse of health-boosting nutrients. They are great for your brain, your heart, and even your skin. And they help protect you against diabetes and several types of cancer. This soup is just one delicious way to enjoy high-fiber, low-calorie cauliflower!
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 medium-size onions, peeled and chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
3/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
2-1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (save 1/2 cup for garnish)
1/3 cup poppy seeds for garnish
1. Remove stem of the cauliflower. With stem facing up, hold knife at a 45° angle and cut out the core. Rinse the head of cauliflower and break into florets.
2. Add: Add cauliflower florets, chopped onions, minced garlic, dill weed, and black pepper to slow cooker.
3. Add: Add chicken stock.
4. Cook: Cover and set slow cooker on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
5. Purée: Using a hand-held immersion blender, purée the soup until smooth.
6. Add: Stir in 1 cup milk.
7. Cook: Cook on LOW for 20 minutes.
8. Stir in: Stir in 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese.
7. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
8. Garnish: Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with shredded Cheddar cheese and poppy seeds.
9. Serve immediately and enjoy.
"Cauliflower." The World's Healthiest Foods. Accessed February 24, 2018. http://www.whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=13.
Elliot, Jeffrey, and James P. DeWan. "Cutting Fruits and Vegetables." In Complete Book of Knife Skills: The Essential Guide to Use, Techniques & Care. Toronto, Ont: Robert Rose, 2010.
"March: Cauliflower | Food & Nutrition Education Lab." Sites.Udel.Edu |. Last modified March 11, 2016. http://sites.udel.edu/chs-udfoodlab/2016/03/11/march-cauliflower/.
"Top 5 Health Benefits of Cauliflower." Highlights. Last modified March 12, 2014. http://advancingyourhealth.org/highlights/2014/03/12/health-benefits-of-cauliflower/.