This beer cheese soup recipe for the slow cooker is creamy, delicious, and gluten-free. Made with lots of sharp Cheddar cheese, russet potatoes, and a bottle of your favorite beer, this soup is sure to please.
Plus, it’s topped with crispy bacon, shredded cheese, and fresh thyme. What a fantastic flavor combination!
Cayenne pepper is a plant whose fruit provides us with both food and medicine. In fact, research shows Native Americans in Central and South America have reaped the benefits of cayenne for at least 9,000 years.
This mighty pepper is packed with vitamins and antioxidants to give your immune system a boost. That's good news. Not only does it improve the flavor of your food, but it's good for you too.
Cayenne also contains a powerful pain relieving chemical which is used to treat arthritis, shingles, and muscle aches. Plus, it helps prevent heart attacks and aids weight loss.
What a powerful pepper!
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup cornstarch
3-4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2-1/2 cups)
1 bottle gluten-free beer, 12 ounces
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 ounces cream cheese
3 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (Colgin is gluten-free)
1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
6 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
Leaves from 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1. Add and whisk: Add chicken stock and cornstarch to a slow cooker and whisk until mixture is smooth.
2. Add: Add cubed potatoes and beer.
3. Add: Add minced garlic, chopped onion, sliced carrots, melted butter, and cayenne pepper
4. Stir: Stir to combine.
5. Cook: Set slow cooker on LOW and cook for 6-8 hours. (If setting on high, cook for 3-4 hours.)
6. Add: Add cream cheese. If you have time, let both the cream cheese and the Cheddar cheese reach room temperature before adding. This will help them melt more quickly.
7. Cook: Cook on low another 15-20 minutes.
8. Prep: While waiting for the cream cheese to thoroughly meld with the other ingredients, cook 6 slices of bacon until crispy. Then place the cooked slices on a sheet or two of paper towel to drain.
9. Stir in: Stir in 3 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese. Put the lid back on the slow cooker and wait about 5 minutes before serving.
10. Garnish: Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with extra shredded cheese, bacon crumbles, and leaves of fresh thyme. (Hold thickest end of thyme sprig between thumb and index finger. With your other thumb and index finger, lightly grasp a little higher on the twig and slide your fingers toward the thin end. The leaves will easily release and so will some of its fragrance.)
11. Serve: Serve immediately as this soup’s flavors are best experienced while still hot.
"13 Proven Cayenne Pepper Health Benefits." Healthy Focus. Last modified July 14, 2016. https://healthyfocus.org/cayenne-pepper-health-benefits/.
"Cayenne." University of Maryland Medical Center. Accessed February 3, 2018. https://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/cayenne.
"The Ultimate Super Spice! Health Benefits of Cayenne Pepper." One Green Planet. Last modified April 23, 2014. https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-health/the-ultimate-super-spice-health-benefits-of-cayenne-pepper/.