A classic beef barley soup rich with fork-tender beef and hearty grains of pearled barley in a soothing, cognac-colored beef stock.
Barley has been enjoyed by the world for centuries. In addition to its good taste and pleasing texture, its high fiber and low calories make it a smart addition to a healthy diet.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into even bite-sized pieces
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
8 cups beef stock, homemade preferred (beef stock recipe)
1 bay leaf
1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
5 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes, 14.5 ounces, undrained
2/3 cup barley, medium pearled
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup cut green beans, frozen
1 cup yellow corn, frozen
4 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
1. In a Dutch oven, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Heat over medium-high heat until oil is shimmering.
2. Brown beef in 3 batches; add just enough stew meat to almost cover bottom of pot and sprinkle each batch with 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
3. Sear, developing a nicely browned crust on each side before turning; brown all sides. Transfer browned meat to a plate and repeat with the next batch.
4. When searing is complete, place all browned meat in Dutch oven; add beef stock and bay leaf. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cover pot loosely with lid.
5. Cook for 1-1/2 hours.
6. Add and simmer - Add onions, garlic, black pepper, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and barley. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Add and simmer - Add potatoes, green beans, corn, and thyme leaves. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
8. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
9. Season with salt to taste.
"Barley Basics." Agriculture Research - Ag Research | Montana State University. Accessed February 22, 2016. http://agresearch.montana.edu/wtarc/producerinfo/agronomy-nutrient-management/Barley/BarleyBasics.pdf.
McGee, Harold. "Seeds: Grains, Legumes, and Nuts." In On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen, 451-514. New York: Scribner, 2004.
Nov 05, 17 08:51 PM
A corn soup recipe featuring a delightful combination of lean turkey, golden corn, and crushed tomatoes...plus, it's topped with irresistible cornmeal dumplings!
Oct 27, 17 09:22 PM
A black bean soup recipe combining protein-rich beef or turkey, black beans, and quinoa - plus, it's topped with mouth-watering cornmeal dumplings. You're going to love it!
Oct 05, 17 09:23 PM
A corn chowder soup recipe filled with bright golden kernels of corn, creamy potatoes, and cornmeal dumplings - topped with shredded cheddar and bacon.