This 15 bean soup combines the great flavor of smoked sausage with slow-simmered beans, onions, and spices. It's a gluten-free, high-protein dish that's sure to please. You'll love it!
Bean blends made up of 13, 15, or 16 types of dried beans are available in most food stores. These are among the varieties included:
Sometimes a spice packet comes with the beans. We won’t be using their seasonings, so you can discard the packet or save for another use.
1 package 13, 15, or 16 bean blend (16 oz.), sorted and rinsed - discard any enclosed spice packet
7 cups of water
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried ground mustard
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and sliced (sauté and use for garnish)
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
1. Prep beans: Sort and rinse beans. Since the beans vary so much in size, sorting through them is a little more difficult. And because the lentils are so much small, a fine mesh strainer will work better than a colander when rinsing.
In a large bowl or pot, add beans and cover with water; soak overnight.
2. In the morning, drain beans using a fine mesh sieve and rinse with running water.
3. Add: Place beans in a 6-8 quart slow cooker. Add 7 cups water.
4. Add: Add in dried minced onion, garlic, cumin, dried ground mustard, liquid smoke, and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
5. Cook: Cover with lid and set slow cooker on LOW for 10-12 hours or until beans are tender.
6. When about 1-1/2 hours of cooking time remaining, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a skillet and heat on medium high until shimmering.
7. Sauté: Slice onions and separate into rings. Sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside and use for garnish.
8. Brown: Brown sausage slices on each side then add to slow cooker. If using smoked turkey sausage, you may need to add a little more oil.
9. Deglaze: Remove skillet from heat and add vinegar and water. Scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen flavorful bits; add mixture to slow cooker.
10. Add and cook: Add diced tomatoes to slow cooker. Stir in tomato paste to combine and cook on LOW for 50-60 minutes. (Adding tomatoes at the beginning can keep the beans from softening.)
11. Garnish: Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with warm sautéed onions. Enjoy!